I have to admit that working on creating videos and captioned videos has been a humbling experience. I really don’t understand video on the web, yet, and wonder how so many youTube videos actually get created! I can certainly see why they don’t get captions – the process is tedious and can be confusing!
I used Camtasia 6.0 to record a demonstration video using the Dojo Sample Mail application with the JAWS 10 screen reader. I then used the IBM DigiCape program to transcribe the audio for me. That is certainly a big help! It is much easier to edit the captions than to have to try to transcribe it all myself. And, the Freedom Scienfitic folks might get a chuckle that “screen reader” often got transcribed as “supreme leader”!
After editing the transcript from DigiCape I used that text file to add captions in Camtasia. In theory, I should be able to give the video to DigiCape and it would synchronize the captions into the video for me – I’m still working on that and learning the DigiCape tool. It was fairly easy to sync the captions in Camstudio, although if you look at the result, you’ll see that I have a bit more to learn about line lengths, sizing and such. But, I at least have a 10 minute, captioned demo of Dojo widgets being used with a screen reader. I also need to get a better microphone as the video quality is poor and the volume not very high – I hope it is still usable! And, since the player is not accessible, the video is set to play automatically. Next step – learning about accessible players NCAM/CC and JW Player!
More to come as I venture into the world of captioned video!